Thursday, April 20, 2006

What is up with the Miro Google logo today?

Leave it to Google to distract me from fiscal responsibility. As I settle in to pay my phone bill online at the last minute, I get mesmerized by the bright shiny thing on the Google home page.

Today, the Google logo is Miro-inspired, which would be a lovely thing, except for the fact that a nosy-nellie like myself is now hopelessly off-track for the day. I feel compelled to understand WHY.

I'm not a complete philistine (hey, I went to art school...) so I do know that it is the 113th anniversary of Joan Miro's birth, but geez, what an obscure milestone to celebrate with a commemorative Google logo. What logo is slated for tomorrow? The 2,759th anniversary of the day Rome was founded?

I'm sure the blogosphere will give me the answer before the end of the day. I'll be sure to update this post for anyone who, like myself, actually gives a shit about this kind of stuff.

UPDATE:
Turns out the estate of Miro were less-than-thrilled about the tribute. They asked Google to remove it. I guess they didn't get permission to re-use certain elements in the logo. Google honored the request but issued a statement that they did not believe the logo was a copyright violation.

Thanks Blogosphere!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com